SEOUL, Aug. 17 (Yonhap) -- CJ Group has set a goal of generating 12 trillion won (US$8.47 billion) in annual sales in North America by 2028 through synergies among its Korean food, entertainment and beauty businesses.
CJ unveiled its mid- to long-term North American business strategy at an event in Los Angeles on Saturday (local time), outlining plans to leverage the growing popularity of K-culture to expand its presence in the region.
The South Korean retail and entertainment conglomerate's sales in the region exceeded 8 trillion won last year, more than 10 times the approximately 800 billion won recorded in 2017.
Its compound annual growth rate over the eight-year period was about 33 percent, the company said.
"We will accelerate our expansion in the North American market by building an ecosystem that connects the popularity of the K-wave to K-lifestyle experiences," CJ Group CEO Heo Min-hoe said, referring to the global spread of South Korean culture.
CJ began expanding its presence in the United States in 1995 with an investment in U.S. film studio DreamWorks.
The group later expanded its business portfolio through a series of acquisitions, including logistics company DSC Logistics in 2018, U.S. frozen-food maker Schwan's in 2019 and content production company Fifth Season in 2021.
(END)
- BTS' V reveals hearing loss, Jungkook performs through shin injury on world tour
- From 'BTS Boulevard' to U.S. governor's praise: BTS sweeps N. America on 'Arirang' tour
- Pyeongtaek city fails to reach U.S. military via hotline over reported white phosphorus leak: official
- (LEAD) Pyeongtaek city fails to reach U.S. military via hotline over reported white phosphorus leak: official
-
Actor Ha Young apologizes over controversy surrounding family's pro-Japanese past
-
BTS' V reveals hearing loss, Jungkook performs through shin injury on world tour
- From 'BTS Boulevard' to U.S. governor's praise: BTS sweeps N. America on 'Arirang' tour
- N. Korea silent on Lee's proposal for dialogue to officially end Korean War
- Pyeongtaek city fails to reach U.S. military via hotline over reported white phosphorus leak: official
-
(LEAD) Pyeongtaek city fails to reach U.S. military via hotline over reported white phosphorus leak: official
-
S. Korean military fires warning shots after N. Korean troops briefly cross MDL
- Trump posts photo with N.K. leader Kim, says he, Kim 'get along great'
- Son Heung-min's MLS scoring streak snapped at 4 matches
- N. Korea silent on Lee's proposal for dialogue to officially end Korean War
- (2nd LD) Trump orders Pentagon to 'substantially' reduce S. Korea-U.S. military exercises