Iran said on Monday that two French diplomats briefly arrested last month over alleged “interference” would not be allowed to return to the country.

Foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baqaei said the pair had left Iran and that Tehran had formally informed France they would be barred from re-entry.

France’s Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot said on 20 July that the diplomats had been targeted by Iranian security officials in violation of diplomatic immunity and described the incident as an “extremely serious act of intimidation”.

Iran has accused the diplomats of interfering in its internal affairs while engaging with civil society. Its intelligence ministry said they were involved in a broader effort to exert foreign influence, without providing further details.

Tehran summoned the French ambassador on 26 July to protest against the diplomats’ conduct. Baqaei said on Monday that French authorities should apologise, arguing that the pair had violated the Vienna Convention.