According to Ukrinform, the NewsMaker outlet reported this.
According to the ministry, inflow into the reservoir was only 23 cubic meters per second the previous day, while the discharge to Moldova remains at 75 cubic meters per second. Under these conditions, the reservoir’s water level continues to decline.
The ministry said the average daily inflow during the first 10 days of August was 38 cubic meters per second.
“This is a very serious warning. Extremely low water levels affect the entire Dniester ecosystem, the river’s ability to maintain its natural balance, as well as the water supply of the population,” the ministry said.
The Ministry of Environment said it is maintaining constant cooperation with the Ukrainian side, continuously monitoring the situation and analyzing hydrological data and operational information.
In view of the declining water flow, the ministry urged citizens to use water resources responsibly. The authorities said it is necessary to reduce water losses, adapt water-collection infrastructure and avoid unjustified consumption.
On August 11, Ukraine decided to reduce the discharge from the Dniester Reservoir from 85 to 75 cubic meters per second. The measure will remain in effect until the end of August. This followed a decision earlier in August to reduce the discharge from 100 to 85 cubic meters per second for two weeks in order to preserve water reserves in case of a prolonged drought.
Read also:Sybiha thanks Estonia for energy support and
Moldovafor facilitating Ukrainian grain transit
As reported by Ukrinform, at an extraordinary meeting held on July 31, it was decided to set the discharge from the Dniester Integrated Hydroelectric Complex at 85 cubic meters per second.
On August 4, at the invitation of Ukrainian Deputy Minister of Economy and Environment Iryna Ovcharenko, a Moldovan delegation visited the Dniester Reservoir to assess the current hydrological situation and its impact on water supplies to Ukrainian communities.
Photo: Unsplash