Chief Minister Hemant Soren on Monday (August 17) announced the cancellation of the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) Exam.
The decision was taken during an emergency Cabinet meeting, which lasted for four hours. He also announced that all exams conducted by TSR Data Processing Private Limited (TDPL) will be cancelled.
He added that a committee will be formed under senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal to bring in reforms in the examination process.
“A comprehensive inquiry will be conducted into all errors, minor or major, that have occurred since 2014. We will also soon convene to discuss the amendments made to the MMDR Act by the Central Government; if necessary, we may even call a special session to deliberate on this specific issue,” he said.
The Chief Minister said that investigations being conducted by both the SIT and the CID have brought to light “several shocking facts”.
“Since the investigation is ongoing, it is not possible to disclose every detail openly; however, it has been observed that individuals appointed through the CGL process are now being arrested on charges related to irregularities in the JPSC examinations. Furthermore, there appears to be a complex, interconnected network involving various companies that have operated here at different times,” he noted.
The Chief Minister said the scope of the investigation covers all examinations held from 2014 to the present. “We have instructed the concerned department and the CID; since the investigation has been initiated, it must be carried out thoroughly,” he said.
The Chief Minister said that the government is addressing all aspects of the issue. “We have decided to cancel everything associated with TDPL — including the examinations conducted, the results published, the candidates selected or who participated, and all other activities carried out by TDPL,” he said.
The Chief Minister said the government would ensure complete transparency in reforms related to examinations and address concerns raised by students protesting over alleged irregularities.
“I do not consider these young people to be different groups. They are all concerned about their future. The government will move ahead with complete transparency on reforms. There is already an SOP for conducting examinations, and if it had been followed, these irregularities would not have occurred. Nevertheless, further improvements will be made based on suggestions received. A portal has also been opened for students, teachers and parents to submit suggestions, which will be shared with experts,” he said.
The cancelation of JSSC-CGL examinations has been a major demand of protestors. The student protest in Ranchi over alleged irregularities in examinations conducted by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) and Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC) had entered 24th day on Monday (August 17). The protesting students have been demanding reforms in the examination system and action over alleged irregularities.
Students reaction to CM Soren’s decision
In reaction to CM Soren’s decision to cancel the JSSC-CGL exam, students celebrated at Jaipal Singh Stadium after the Jharkhand government decided to cancel the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination.
A student says, “Our demand for a CBI investigation remains unfulfilled. Our hunger strike will not end until the CBI inquiry takes place. It is a matter of great happiness that the JSSC-CGL exam has been cancelled. We will call off the agitation only after the CBI inquiry is conducted, not before.”
(With PTI, ANI inputs)
Published - August 17, 2026 10:12 pm IST