• See more Daily Mail on Google - save us as a Preferred Source

A magnitude-4.8 earthquake struck southern Spain on Tuesday, forcing hotels to evacuate and leaving three people injured.

The quake hit Granada at around 10.38am, sending debris crashing into streets and causing cracks in buildings across the popular tourist city.

Its epicentre was in the town of Alhendin, around six miles south of Granada, according to Spain's National Geographical Institute.

Three people were lightly injured, including a girl who was taken to hospital, said Antonio Sanz, Andalusia's top emergencies official.

Emergency services received more than 50 calls reporting damage, including falling debris and cracks in buildings.

Videos posted on social media showed rubble strewn across streets and damage to cars.

'Everything came crashing down. It was terrifying,' Cristina Ruiz Lopez, a lab worker who was in a supermarket when the earthquake struck, wrote on X.

The quake comes after a magnitude-5.0 earthquake woke residents in Granada shortly after 1:00 am on Saturday.

No injuries were reported from that quake, possibly because there were less people in the streets at that hour, although damage was reported in some buildings.

'Experts point out that it is possible for seismic movements and aftershocks to continue in the area,' the head of the regional government, Juan Manuel Moreno, wrote on X, urging 'maximum caution'.

Granada is home to the Alhambra palace, a UNESCO-listed jewel of medieval Islamic architecture and the seat of Spain's last Muslim kingdom.

Andalucia's president Juanma Moreno warned locals and tourists in Granada to be prepared for more seismic movements and aftershocks.

He said on X: 'Once again, an earthquake shakes Granada. Maximum CAUTION.

'Experts point out that seismic movements and aftershocks may continue in the area, and it is important to know how we should act in these situations.

'Let's follow the advice and remain calm, please.'

Calle Navas in Granada, one of the typical tapas streets in Granada which is heavily geared towards tourists, was one of the streets where damage was reported.

Bars in the street suspended their activity and the local police put up tape blocking off access due to falling cornice debris.

Local reports said there were cracks in buildings.

The beautiful Iglesia del Sagrario Church in Granada, which is attached to the city cathedral, was closed and is set to remain so until the end of the day.

Granada Football Club also shut its official shop, saying in a statement: 'Due to the seismic activity in recent hours and for safety reasons, the official store and ticket offices at the Stadium will remain closed until further notice.

'The remote customer service channels for season ticket holders will remain operational.'

Andalucia's Councillor for Health and Emergencies Antonio Sanz said: 'I am going to convene the advisory committee for the earthquake emergency plan imminently, once we have assessed the situation and, logically, continue taking measures from the standpoint of precaution, self-protection and prevention.'

There was no immediate information on the nationalities of those hurt, or how they had been injured.

Only one of the three casualties, the girl described as a minor whose age is not yet known, was taken to hospital.

This is a breaking news story, more to follow.