The biomining operations to completely clear the decades-old ‘legacy waste’ mound at Njeliyanparamba, which has long been an environmental concern for residents, are making steady progress, Kozhikode Mayor O. Sadasivan has said.
A high-level meeting on Tuesday (August 18) reviewed the progress of the ongoing biomining and scientific disposal of waste at Njeliyanparamba. The initiative, which began in March 2026, aims to clear around 2.33 lakh cubic metres of ‘legacy waste’ accumulated across the 12.6-acre dumpsite and reclaim the entire land for productive use by July 2027.
Addressing the media, Mr. Sadasivan said Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL) would set up a compressed biogas (CBG) plant at the site once the waste was cleared and the land was reclaimed. Seven acres of land will be transferred for the purpose, with the first portion ready to be handed over.
“Once the CBG plant becomes operational, organic waste generated in Kozhikode city could be fully treated. The ongoing project will bring an end to the long-standing waste management problem,” the Mayor said.
Biomining and bioremediation activities are being carried out under the aegis of the Kerala Solid Waste Management Project (KSWMP). Mr. Sadasivan said he and other officials had visited Njeliyanparamba twice to review the progress of the work. Chennai-based Zigma Global Environ Solutions Private Limited, which is executing the project, is doing a good job of segregating waste and reclaiming the land, the Mayor said.
Deputy mayor S. Jayasree said around 2.5 acres had already been reclaimed. “The firm executing the project has so far treated over 20,000 cubic metres of legacy waste and reclaimed the land. The entire seven acres to be handed over to BPCL will be reclaimed soon. What we are witnessing is a coordinated effort involving the State government, KSWMP, Zigma Global Environ Solutions, and the Kozhikode Corporation. The completion of the project will help reduce methane and carbon dioxide emissions, benefiting the environment and residents,” Ms. Jayasree said.
Officials said a park would come up on the remaining 4.5 acres at Njeliyanparamba. On the issue of wastewater from the dumping site causing problems for residents, Mr. Sadasivan said necessary steps had been taken to resolve the issue.
Besides officials of the Corporation and KSWMP, the review meeting was attended by council party leaders, officials of the State Pollution Control Board, and representatives of various government departments.
Published - August 18, 2026 07:57 pm IST