Restraint urged in reporting Zamboanga school shooting

MANILA, Philippines — The Presidential Communications Office (PCO) appealed to the media on Wednesday, August 19, to exercise restraint in reporting details about the school shooting incident in Zamboanga City.

The executive’s communications arm, through its Secretary Dave Gomez, stressed in a statement that state media were advised to exercise the “highest level of caution” in reporting tragedies involving minors.

It added that the office will not impose restrictions on private media entities but also called on them to report the incident responsibly.

“In particular, we ask for restraint in reporting that may compromise the dignity, safety, and privacy of minors, the bereaved families, and the ongoing response and investigation efforts, and to avoid details that may encourage copycat acts,” the statement read.

Limit info on alleged shooter

Meanwhile, psychiatrist Randy Dellosa told ANC earlier on Wednesday that the media should limit the information they present regarding the incident, especially about the alleged shooter.

“The less people talk about the perpetrator, the better,” Dellosa said.

The expert further explained that limiting information about the underage perpetrator will prevent the danger of him possibly being perceived as a “martyr” and idolized.

He also warned about copycat acts, which he said can be prevented by limiting information about the method or process of the incident.

“Potential perpetrators are studying the event… The less they know of the process, of what happened, the better,” Dellosa said.

He also said that reports must emphasize the victims, as incidents like these are not typical crimes but ones that leave trauma among the young people who witnessed them.

“The students themselves have experienced the impact of death. Teenage life is a time of invincibility eh…but now they’re afraid that the person beside them might be the one who might down them,” Dellosa said.

Day of mourning

Meanwhile, the local government unit of Zamboanga City earlier officially declared Wednesday a day of mourning for the two students who died in the incident.

Classes at all levels were suspended in both public and private schools within the city.

Ateneo de Zamboanga University, meanwhile, has issued a memorandum extending the suspension of classes until Thursday, August 20.

“We appeal to everyone to remain calm and compassionate, refrain from spreading unverified information, and allow the proper authorities to conduct a thorough investigation,” the LGU’s statement read.

Investigations into the incident remain ongoing.

  • Latest
  • Trending