An 11-year-old boy who said he lost more than 1 million baht buying a rare Pokémon card is among at least 25 victims who have filed complaints with police, claiming they were duped by a man who promised to source sought-after collectibles from overseas.

The victims, accompanied by consumer advocate Tankhun Jitt-itsara, lodged a complaint on Wednesday with the Economic Crime Suppression Division (ECD), seeking legal action against a man identified only as “Mr Mor”.

According to the complainants, the suspect gained the trust of collectors and traders in Thailand’s trading card community by offering to source rare Pokémon cards and other high-value collectibles from abroad.

Victims said he initially delivered genuine products, building credibility before accepting larger orders. He later failed to deliver the goods, citing customs, tax and import-related problems before cutting off contact and shutting down his Facebook trading page.

Police were told that about 25 victims have come forward, with total losses exceeding 5 million baht. Many are young collectors who buy and sell cards as a hobby or source of income.

A 15-year-old trader said the success of early transactions with the suspect led to recommendations within the community. Problems emerged only after customers began placing larger orders.

A 22-year-old collector said he lost more than 100,000 baht after purchasing several high-value cards, some costing around 60,000 baht each. He said previous deals had been profitable, so he had no suspicions about the suspect.

The case comes as Thailand’s trading card market continues to expand, with certain rare and limited-edition cards selling for hundreds of thousands or even millions of baht — attracting both collectors and investors, including youngsters.

Card event organiser Chatchanapong Kaewthong said collectors should verify sellers, product origins and transaction records before transferring large sums of money, and not rely solely on personal relationships or claims of special access to rare imports.

Mr Tankhun, president of the Santiprachadham Club, said the growing trading card business has attracted many young participants and called for stronger safeguards against fraud. He urged authorities to locate the suspect and determine whether there are additional victims.