As the fallout continues with focus on the Sydney Swans men's AFL team, the club's women's team has been thrust into an unfair spotlight and become another unwilling casualty.

This was a week where the Swans AFLW team was being given equal billing to men with a double-header on the SCG, at a club that is very public in celebrating its inclusive values.

Instead, the club's respect for women has been brought into question, with the women's players and women in the football community left feeling hurt and angry by the actions of the men's players.

The club has suspended five of its men's players — Isaac Heeney, Nick Blakey, Chad Warner, James Jordon and Riley Bice — for the remainder of the 2026 season for breaching club behavioural standards.

The five players are linked to an ongoing Victoria Police investigation into an alleged sexual assault at the Pullman Hotel, where the Swans were staying after their win over Essendon on Sunday night.

It is not suggested that they are being accused of sexual assault, and no-one has been arrested or charged in relation to the alleged incident.

Sympathies across the footy space remain first and foremost with the alleged victim, including with everyone spoken to for this story.

While finding it difficult to talk about anyone outside of the woman at the centre of this story, AFLW pioneer Chyloe Kurdas told ABC Sport it had been a "horrendous" week for many women in the footy space.

"As women, we live with the fear of sexual assault every day, and so this is not just something that only the Swans AFLW team will be feeling. There will be a fair bit of anger across the whole AFLW system," Kurdas said.

Diversity and inclusion leader Rana Hussain, who has worked across multiple sports including within AFL clubs, said sexual violence was not an abstract issue for women, as many were feeling this story deeply.

In Australia, one in five women have experienced sexual violence over the age of 15, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, and Hussain said "even for those who haven't, most women understand its prevalence and have spent their lives learning to navigate and mitigate that risk".

"So these players are likely carrying this both as employees of the Sydney Swans and as women. And now they have to pull on the jumper, represent their club and potentially answer questions about something they had absolutely nothing to do with," Hussain said.

"We need to be really careful that the women of the Sydney Swans aren't asked to carry the cultural and emotional labour of this moment.

"Too often when these issues arise, women are leaned on to explain why it matters, what respectful culture should look like and what needs to change.

"They can love their club and represent it proudly while still asking difficult questions of their leaders about what the club's values actually mean when they are tested. Standing the players down is an important first step, but for the people inside that organisation, the work doesn't end there."

The ABC has spoken to sources in and around the AFLW program, who are not able to speak on the record, but conveyed their deep hurt.

One source close to the women's program said there were strong feelings of hurt, anger and humiliation following the actions from the men's players.

The double-header between the programs is the first in the club's history, with the women running out on the SCG for the first time for premiership points on Sunday before the men's game.

While the club will continue to build enthusiasm for the AFLW game against Essendon, the Swans player will have an undesired added layer of attention in what was originally a celebration.

Swans women's players and coaches are yet to publicly comment on the matter. However, that will likely change when they are obliged to do media post-game on Sunday.

Star player Chloe Molloy has already questioned by media been on her way into Swans HQ this week.

"The women, through no fault of their own, there'll be a spotlight put on them because of poor behaviour from men," Kurdas said.

"We don't know what allegedly has happened. But running out there, flying Sydney Swans' flag and playing your role for the club, when you don't know if the boys that play would have your back and play their role for you?"

At a press conference on Wednesday, Sydney CEO Matthew Pavlich said his club's women's team was "deeply disappointed" in the five male players suspended for breaches of club standards and that the club was "supporting them as best they can".

Earlier this week, former AFLW All Australian and now commentator for Seven and Triple M Kate McCarthy questioned how much the AFL space was doing to truly engage and include women and girls in footy spaces safely.

The post was praised by current AFLW players, including GWS' Tilly Lucas-Rodd, while Lions star Jade Ellenger commented: "This is what using a platform for change looks like, so well said."

In a lengthy post, McCarthy wrote in part: "The AFL says it wants women and girls to feel that football belongs to them. That has to mean more than having an AFLW competition or getting women through the gates.

"It means examining the culture around men in football, how women are spoken about and treated, and how our industry responds when serious allegations involving women arise."