Carlton Hotel takes back space formerly occupied by Korea Artiz Studio
SINGAPORE – The space previously occupied by Korea Artiz Studio has been repossessed by Carlton Hotel, the hotel confirmed with The Straits Times on Aug 20.
A notice, dated Aug 20 and pasted on the doors of the studio, read: “Please be informed that Carlton Hotel (Singapore) has repossessed these premises with effect from Aug 20.”
The notice said that access to the premises is no longer permitted without the prior authorisation of Carlton Hotel.
The store had abruptly ceased operations on Aug 14 over unpaid salaries and the Consumers Association of Singapore (CASE) said on Aug 18 that it received 66 complaints from the bridal store’s customers between Aug 14 and 18.
A Korea Artiz Studio employee told The Straits Times on Aug 19 that the staff closed the premises after their salaries were not paid and they could not contact the company’s management.
In response to queries from The Straits Times, Carlton Hotel said on Aug 20 that the studio had been renting the premises since 2017.
The hotel also confirmed that the studio has outstanding rent, but did not disclose the figure.
It added: “We are currently reviewing the matter and the appropriate next steps in relation to the tenancy.
“As this is a private tenancy matter, we are unable to comment further on any ongoing discussions or actions at this stage.”
More than $271,000 in pre-payment losses were reported by customers after they failed to get a response from the business on whether contracted services would be fulfilled or if they could get a refund, said CASE.
CASE has also reached out to Korea Artiz Studio to understand whether scheduled photography sessions and services will proceed as planned, said president Melvin Yong on Aug 18.