SEOUL, Aug. 20 (Yonhap) -- President Lee Jae Myung on Thursday vowed to root out the online circulation of illegally filmed sexual content, noting the government will also make efforts to tackle overseas-based platforms.
Lee made the remark in a social media post, noting that relevant agencies, including the gender ministry and the police, have prepared a comprehensive response plan against illegal websites carrying such content.
"Until now, the government has supported the removal of illegally filmed content upon request from victims," Lee said. "However, there were limits, as some websites ignored removal requests or continued their criminal activities by reuploading deleted videos on different websites."
"Now, we will change our approach. We will not stop at simply deleting posts but put an end to the structure that allows such crimes to be repeated," Lee said, noting the government will fundamentally shut down websites that distribute illegally filmed content.
Lee added there will be "no exceptions" and that the government will mobilize all available resources to hold those responsible strictly accountable.
"We will make sure that such shameless crimes seeking to profit by trampling on the dignity and personality of others can no longer gain a foothold in the Republic of Korea," Lee added, referring to South Korea's official name.
Earlier in the day, the government announced a set of measures, including allowing investigators to hack illegal websites to delete exploitative content and collect evidence.
colin@yna.co.kr
(END)
- N. Korea silent on Lee's proposal for dialogue to officially end Korean War
- BIGBANG named honorary ambassador for space agency
- (2nd LD) Lee proposes dialogue with N. Korea to officially end Korean War, halt Pyongyang's nuclear program
- U.S. favorability for BTS hits record 46 pct in Q2: poll
-
(LEAD) Lee reiterates support for four-year, two-term presidential system
-
N. Korea silent on Lee's proposal for dialogue to officially end Korean War
- Trump signs memo permitting foreign shipbuilders to build up to 2 U.S. ships in their shipyards
- (LEAD) Lee reiterates support for four-year, two-term presidential system
- (2nd LD) Lee proposes dialogue with N. Korea to officially end Korean War, halt Pyongyang's nuclear program
-
Bill Gates in S. Korea to discuss cooperation in next-generation nuclear reactors
-
(3rd LD) Trump says he will meet N. Korea's Kim this year, puts N.K. nukes at 57
- (LEAD) N.K. leader's sister says Pyongyang more focused on S. Korea-U.S. drills continuing than reduced scale
- (LEAD) N. Korea typically estimated to have 80-120 nuclear weapons: defense minister
- (2nd LD) Chinese FM pledges to keep playing 'constructive role' for peace on Korean Peninsula
- N. Korea fires unidentified projectile toward East Sea: S. Korean military