• Have YOU got a story? Email tips@dailymail.co.uk
  • See more Daily Mail on Google - save us as a Preferred Source

Trevor Nelson has announced he has been diagnosed with a brain tumour and has undergone 'very serious surgery' to treat it.

The Radio DJ, 62, revealed the news on Thursday, two months after he told fans he was taking a break from work due to 'health issues'.

Trevor announced in June that he would be extending his Radio 2 break to focus on his health but did not share any details at the time.

But sharing an update in a video shared to Instagram, Trevor told fans: 'A lot of you may have seen the post that I put up at the start of summer, saying that I was stepping back from all my work commitments due to illness.

'There's been a lot of speculation as to what's wrong with me, I know that much. My phone's blown up 20 times over with people asking what's wrong with me.

'Due to the love and the positive vibes, thousands of you have been sending me, I felt that I should at least tell you what is wrong with me and what happened to me.'

He said he may share the 'whole crazy story' at a later date, but plans to keep it mostly private for the time being.

Trevor Nelson has announced he has been diagnosed with a brain tumour and has undergone 'very serious surgery' to treat it

The Radio DJ, 62, revealed the news on Thursday, two months after he told fans he was taking a break from work due to 'health issues'

Trevor continued: 'I'll tell you this, I was minding my own business and then it was discovered that I had a brain tumour.

'As you can imagine, I was shocked. In fact, my world was turned upside down.'

He said 'quite literally' that his head was 'all over the place' but that he knew he had to stop work.

He confirmed he had a 'very serious surgery' that went well, spending the last month in recovery and in post-op treatment.'

'I can only tell you the truth,' he added. 'I feel great right now, I feel ready to come back. I feel energised and almost back to myself.

'I've had a really serious situation but I've come out the other side and I feel great. I feel raring to go. I feel in good health.'

In the caption, Trevor wrote: 'I'm feeling good. I will be back to work very soon. To radio first and later to my DJ gigs. Thank you for all your messages, your love and your support.'

Trevor received a wealth of support from his BBC Radio colleagues and friends, including the R2 social media, which said: 'Sending you so much love Trevor! Can't wait to have you back'.

Fearne Cotton wrote: 'We love you Trev. So happy you're recovering well'.

Zoe Ball said: 'Sending you so much love Trevor! Can't wait to have you back'.

Trevor received a wealth of support from his BBC Radio colleagues and friends, including the R2 social media, which said: 'Sending you so much love Trevor! Can't wait to have you back'

Romesh Ranganathan, Jack Saunders, DJ Spoony, Clara Amfo and Angie Greaves all also sent public messages of support to Trevor

Melvin Odoom said: 'Sending love Uncle Trev and looking forward to hearing you on the airwaves soon'.

BBC Radio 2 presenter Ellie Brennan said: 'So good to hear Trev! Sending endless love and good vibes your way'.

Romesh Ranganathan, Jack Saunders, DJ Spoony, Clara Amfo and Angie Greaves all also sent public messages of support to Trevor.

Confirmation of the health issue previously sparked concern amongst some of the popular presenter's fanbase that his lengthy career, both on radio and behind the decks, could be coming to an end.

Back in June, friends insisted that Trevor is confident that, after a break from work, he will be able to return to presenting.

They also confirmed he is still going ahead with planning his busy end-of-year schedule, which includes his annual sell-out Christmas events at the Royal Albert Hall.

Trevor - usually presents weekdays 2-4pm on Radio 2, and BBC Radio 1Xtra each Sunday from 11am – 1pm - had posted on Instagram in June: 'I wanted to let my followers, radio listeners and all my Soul Nation party-people know that I'm going to be taking a little break from my work commitments.

'Some of you may already have noticed that I've not been on my daily Radio 2 slot this week.

He announced he was 'taking some time off' from his show after a 'routine check-up' and that he was focusing on 'getting better' in June

'After a routine check-up, I was advised to have some follow-up tests. As a result, I will be taking some further time off. As I'm sure you can appreciate, given health issues, it's important to deal with facts rather than speculate.

'So I'm concentrating on getting better, being back to 100% me and getting back behind the mic and the decks.'

When he appeared at the Television and Radio Industries Club (TRIC) Awards, where he was recognised with the TRIC special award, Trevor also appeared to cast doubt on his future as a radio presenter.

As the Daily Mail reported, he told the audience at the event: 'Thirty years at the BBC, 10 years at KISS FM: 40 years doing radio.

'I don't know how many more years I can do, I love every single moment of it.'

But one close friend has now confirmed: 'Trevor's doing the right thing by stepping back to make sure this health issue is properly sorted out.

'But he's confident of returning to work after the summer. It would be wrong to put an exact date on things, but give him a couple of months, and there seems to be every prospect of a return to work.

'And he's already looking forward to his regular DJ stints at the end of the year, such as the Christmas shows at the Albert Hall.'

Radio 2 presenter Vernon Kay paid tribute to Trevor on his mid-morning show shortly after the news of his illness broke.

He said: 'Everyone at BBC Radio 2, including the mid-morning show, is sending Trevor all the very, very best wishes. We absolutely love him to bits.

'He's a stalwart broadcaster within the UK – I played golf with him a couple of weeks ago, and he was in a buoyant mood.

'And I know that this challenge is something that Trevor is going to face head-on. So Trevor, we are sending you all our love and hopefully see you on the links very soon, my friend.'

Meanwhile, Richie Anderson, who has been covering for Trevor, said: 'Sending all the love in the world to our Trevor, we've got your back, buddy.'

At the TRIC Awards last week, Nelson cast doubt over his future at Radio 2 telling the crowd, 'I don't know how many more years I can do.'

Clara Amfo will cover Trevor's afternoon show from June 29 until July 3, with DJ Spoony taking over from July 6 until further notice.

Lorna Clarke, director of music at the BBC, said: 'Everyone at BBC Radio 2 and BBC Radio 1Xtra wishes Trevor a very speedy recovery and we all look forward to him returning to his shows whenever he is ready.'

Trevor has been DJing since he was young, but first made his name as a pioneering DJ on London's pirate radio station Kiss FM in the 1980s.

This led to a daytime slot and a directorship once the radio station went legal.

After 10 years with Kiss FM, he moved to Radio 1 in 1996 to present Rhythm Nation, and a year later, he began a second show on Saturday afternoons.

He has presented shows for MTV – The Lick and The Lick Chart – as well as the BBC – Trevor Nelson's Urban Choice and The Lowdown.

He has also released compilation albums Pure Grooves and Incredible Sound Of Trevor Nelson and hosts a stage at London 's Notting Hill Carnival with Radio 1.