Supporters' groups across the world have launched a petition demanding the resignation of Gianni Infantino as Fifa president, alongside a comprehensive overhaul of the governing body.
The move comes as pressure builds on Infantino following his decision to abandon plans to seek private backing for a company designed to run Fifa competitions, including the men’s and women’s World Cups.
In an open letter published last week, three continental confederations accused Infantino of "deception" regarding how the scheme was developed and presented. European football's governing body, Uefa, remains determined to boycott Fifa events, having "lost confidence" in Infantino’s leadership.
While the Swiss official retains support in regions including Africa and South America, representative fan groups are now urging him to step down through a petition hosted on the change.org website.
"The shameful attempt by one individual – the Fifa president himself – to sell off the World Cup to private investors exposed a betrayal football will never forget," a statement on behalf of the fan organisations said.
"Infantino’s plan was stitched together in secret. Negotiated behind closed doors. Hidden from Fifa’s own members and from the millions of people whose passion makes football what it is."
Individual supporters are being encouraged to sign the petition, which has already gathered backing across all six Fifa confederations from continental and national supporter groups.
Fan organisations view the private investment proposal as a final straw, following Fifa’s involvement in discussions concerning the European Super League and its ticket pricing structure for this summer’s men’s World Cup.
"A president who repeatedly betrays football and makes a mockery of our game has lost the right to lead it," the statement continued.
"For the credibility of Fifa – and for the future of the game – he must resign."
The petition also calls for structural reform within Fifa, including the formal involvement of fans and other key football stakeholders in decisions shaping the future of the sport.
Ronan Evain, the executive director of Football Supporters Europe (FSE), which signed the petition, told the Press Association: "The departure of Gianni Infantino is a first and a must, but that can only have a positive impact if it’s followed by some reform of the office and of governance.
"If a man can concentrate so many powers then the governance of Fifa is not fit for purpose.
"(Fifa) needs to start from scratch. All the reforms from 2016 have been erased or made irrelevant by Infantino. I think we need to be as open-minded as possible on the future of football governance and there are other models outside of football, outside of sport, that need to be looked into – the idea of rotating presidencies seems interesting."
Fifa has been approached for comment.
Infantino had also sought private backing for an under-15 football festival featuring all 211 Fifa member associations, according to a report in The Athletic on Thursday.
The report stated that a proposal to stage the event in Florida received support from Eldridge, a company founded and chaired by Chelsea co-owner and chairman Todd Boehly.
The Athletic reported that the plan was shelved shortly before the men’s World Cup. In June, Fifa announced Azerbaijan as the inaugural host of the Under-15 World Cup Festival. The tournament in October will feature only boys’ teams, with the 2027 event designated for girls only.