West Bengal Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari said on Thursday (August 20, 2026) that the floods in the southern part of the State have resulted in the death of two people and led to over 3,000 houses being damaged.

Speaking after conducting an aerial survey of the flood-affected areas in Ghatal, Arambagh and Sabang, he said, “So far, according to the initial estimate, around 3,200 houses have been damaged due to flooding. The State government will provide financial assistance of ₹30,000 to all the families whose houses have been damaged.” He also announced that the families of the deceased would receive ₹9 lakh.

The Chief Minister said that around 50,000 people, in an area comprising five to six gram panchayats in and around Sabang, were currently stranded due to the floods. Around 4,000 to 5,000 people have been moved to relief camps, he added. He also reported 10 cases of snakebite, but said there was no loss of life in these cases.

After conducting the aerial survey, Mr. Adhikari held a meeting with officials and Ministers at the Block Development Office in Sabang. He directed Rajesh Mahato, the Minister for Animal Resources Development, to oversee the rescue and relief operations. On Wednesday (August 19, 2026), the Chief Minister had directed MLAs to visit flood-affected areas.

The Cabinet also decided to initiate land acquisition for the Ghatal Masterplan, a major flood-management and drainage project designed to protect the chronically flood-prone Ghatal region in the Paschim Medinipur and Purba Medinipur districts.

Floods in low-lying areas of south Bengal have become an annual problem for residents. Torrential rain over the past few days has pushed large parts of Purba and Paschim Medinipur districts towards a major flood crisis, inundating nearly 1,600 villages.

TMC questions Chief Minister

The Trinamool Congress, meanwhile, took a dig at the Chief Minister, sharing an old video in which he is purportedly heard telling people that there would be no floods from 2026.

“People are struggling. Communities are demanding answers. But what do we get in the name of an ‘aerial survey’ funded by taxpayers? Helicopter rides, photo-ops, reels. And after all the drama, what is the actual outcome of these so-called visits? Not accountability. Not solutions. Not relief,” the TMC said in a social media post.

Published - August 20, 2026 08:50 pm IST