A man has been charged in connection with a terrorist attack at Heaton Park Hebrew Congregation synagogue, which killed worshippers Melvin Cravitz and Adrian Daulby.

Worshippers Melvin Cravitz and Adrian Daulby were killed when Jihad Al-Shamie, 35, a Syrian-born British citizen, drove into the gates of the Heaton Park Hebrew Congregation Synagogue on 2 October last year, and then began attacking with a knife, wearing a fake suicide belt.

Counter Terrorism Policing North West said Iraqi national Hekmat Omar Ali Hakim, aged 49 and of St. James Road, Higher Broughton, has been charged with failing to disclose information regarding terrorist activity (Section 38b, Terrorism Act 2000).

Hakim has been remanded in custody to appear before Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Friday, a spokesperson for Greater Manchester Police said.

Three other men were treated in hospital for serious injuries in the attack last year. All three have since been released.

Assistant Chief Constable Rob Potts, who holds operational responsibility for Counter Terrorism Policing North West, said: “I can confirm that, earlier today, officers from Counter Terrorism Policing North West charged a man with failing to disclose information regarding terrorist activity.

“This charge is directly related to the terrorist attack which took place at the Heaton Park Hebrew Congregation Synagogue last October.

“This is a significant development in our investigation, and my thoughts are with all those affected by the attack, particularly the bereaved loved ones and survivors. We have updated them and continue to offer them as much support as possible.

“Since the attack took place, we have been unwavering in our commitment to establishing the full picture behind the incident and identifying anybody who may have been involved in any way.

“The charge that has been authorised is the culmination of a substantial amount of meticulous work by the investigation team, supported by the Crown Prosecution Service, and I hope this update reaffirms that commitment.”

More follows on this breaking news story...Subscribe here to get the latest updates from The Independent