Ontario’s education minister says he is “very optimistic” going into negotiations with the province’s teaching unions, stressing he doesn’t expect to see strike action close schools.

Existing education contracts will expire at the end of August, but they’ve already faltered over technical disagreements between the government about which issues should be negotiated centrally and which are local concerns.

The unions have suggested the government is trying to centralize more talks, which could take away local power on issues like layoffs or transfers.

The central-local split issue has been referred to the Ontario Labour Relations Board, effectively stalling bargaining.

Get daily National news

Asked about the negotiations on Thursday, Calandra said turbulence in the talks was not a concern for him.

“This is not something new, it’s certainly not something that is unexpected. We remain committed to getting a negotiated settlement so teachers have certainty, parents have certainty and students have the best opportunity to succeed,” he told reporters.

Schools are scheduled to return around Labour Day across the province. Calandra said he remained hopeful the upcoming school year would start and end without disruption.

“The year will start as scheduled and it is my expectation that kids will be in the classroom for a very long time,” he said.

  • Advance voting in 3 federal byelections starts Friday. Here’s how to vote
  • Kids running lemonade stand assaulted, woman facing charges: Windsor police
  • Report says wait times in Quebec emergency rooms were 11 minutes shorter last year
  • Quebec coroner recommends Montreal police review use of force after 2025 death

“There’s no reason why we shouldn’t expect the year to be compled and students to be in the classroom the entire time.”

The minister also acknowledged he has plans to run commercials on bargaining if issues escalate.

“It is my intention to be prepared for every eventuality,” he said on Thursday.

“The unions to this point have been advertising for months, for well over a year… they will outspend the province, but that’s their right to do so. And I will use every means at my disposal so students, parents and teachers understand what my position is.”

–with files from The Canadian Press