Borno State governor, Babagana Umara Zulum has said the federal and the state government are working together to secure the release of 44 schoolchildren abducted from Mussa community in Askira-Uba Local Government Area.
Zulum spoke on Friday while meeting with the parents of the abducted children, who had earlier called on the authorities to intensify efforts to secure their release.
The children were abducted from Mussa Central Primary School on May 15, 2026.
Zulum expressed sympathy to the families and said President Bola Ahmed Tinubu had directed security agencies to work towards rescuing the children.
“On behalf of the government and people of Borno State, I once again extend my sympathies over what happened at Mussa Central Primary School on the 15th of May 2026 that led to the abduction of about 44 primary school pupils,” Zulum said.
He also conveyed Tinubu’s sympathy to the parents and assured them that the Federal Government, the Nigerian Armed Forces and the Borno State Government were working to secure the children’s release.
“Also, on behalf of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Bola Ahmed Tinubu, I want to sympathise with you.
“I want to assure you that Mr President has since directed security agencies to ensure the rescue of our children, and I believe they are working to ensure their rescue,” he said.
The governor said the government would continue its efforts to ensure the safe return of the children to their families.
The meeting was attended by the Senator representing Southern Borno, Mohammed Ali Ndume, Acting Chief of Staff to the Governor, Babagana Mustapha Mallumbe, Commissioner for Education, Lawan Abba Wakilbe, Commissioner for Inter-Governmental Affairs and Special Duties, Samaila Abdulaziz Satumari and the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Environment, Juliana Bitrus.