Convicted rapist Ralph Carr has described his life as “a living hell” after the former talent manager was found guilty of sexually assaulting a woman more than 30 years his junior.

In a pre-sentencing hearing on Monday at the County Court of Victoria, the 67-year-old appeared without his recognisable black wig and tailored suits, instead sporting a shaved head and grey prison-issued tracksuit.

The court heard Carr was confined to his prison cell for 23 hours a day, and believes the verdict has “destroyed” his career.

Psychiatric assessments presented to the court on Monday painted a picture of a troubled man with poor mental health, which largely coincided with the legal proceedings and his concerns about being publicly named in connection to the rape case.

“It’s like a living hell,” Carr told a psychiatrist.

Defence barrister Dermot Dann, KC, said that after the suppression order over Carr’s identity was lifted and he was publicly named, the risks to his mental health became “so much more dire”, with his risk of self-harm elevated by his perceived damage to his reputation and identity.

Dann told the court Carr was experiencing “profound shame” and “nightmares” since being jailed. “Twenty-three hours a day [in a prison cell] is likely to have an adverse impact on his mental health,” the barrister said.

Thirteen character references, including a number from family members, were tendered to the court.

As Carr stood in the dock at the back of the courtroom, an older woman in the front row of the courtroom blew him a kiss before approaching and saying, “Love to you lots.”

The high-profile sport and entertainment manager, who once counted Brownlow medallist Dustin Martin as a client and business partner and singer Tina Arena as his ex-wife, was last month found guilty of two counts of rape and one of sexual assault following a jury trial in the County Court.

Carr maintains his innocence and has flagged the intention to seek a stay of the sentence, arguing the jury got it wrong.

The jury heard the victim, then aged in her 20s, had spoken with Carr over potentially working with him and recalled being invited to his “larger than life” converted warehouse complete with a sauna, extensive wine collection, a glass office and a grand piano.

Carr – whose company, Ralph Carr Management, called itself one of the most successful and respected artist management companies in Australia – suggested the woman could help him work on his pending autobiography and film script.

The jury heard that after consuming alcohol and cocaine together one night in 2023, Carr began consoling the victim over a broken relationship and then raped her.

“He kept coming back. Putting his hands all over me. He didn’t care that I was crying,” she told police.

The woman called her mother about what had happened, and the mother immediately phoned police, the trial heard. The victim stayed at the address, but said she locked herself in another room until police arrived about 3.45am.

The jury found Carr guilty on all charges following three days of deliberations.

Dann, the defence barrister, told the trial the victim was an unreliable witness who had a financial motive to lie. He compared the woman to a fiction writer.

The prosecution conceded there were inconsistencies in the victim’s evidence, but maintained she spoke truthfully about the night in question.

During the trial, Carr called in longtime friends in the legal and entertainment business to give character evidence on his behalf, including barrister friend Marcus Clarke, KC, and entertainment industry consultant Adrian David Marchesani, who gave character evidence.

His identity was suppressed for three years after his legal team obtained, in March 2023, a secrecy order to conceal his alleged involvement in the assault on the woman, citing mental health concerns for their client if he was publicly named.

The order prevented the media from naming Carr, reporting his age and the industry he worked in, and from publishing pixelated photographs.

The West Melbourne man was born to immigrant parents in Melbourne, and raised in Fitzroy North.

After completing year 12, he began working in a factory making washers to earn money for his family, and then worked in a supermarket and the insurance industry.

From there, his interest in music eventually led to him setting up his management company.

Dann said that throughout Carr’s 35 years in the industry he initially managed musicians and bands and then branched out to sporting personalities.

“He was very devoted to his work and his clients. His work meant a lot to him,” Dann said.

The hearing continues.

If you or anyone you know needs support, you can contact the National Sexual Assault, Domestic and Family Violence Counselling Service on 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732), Lifeline 131 114, or Beyond Blue 1300 224 636.