- See more Daily Mail on Google - save us as a Preferred Source
Hundreds of migrants who recently entered Spain's North African enclave of Ceuta have staged a protest on a popular urban beach, urging Spanish authorities to grant them asylum instead of sending them back to Morocco.
They were among the estimated 5,000 to 8,000 who remain in Ceuta after the mass border crossing two weeks ago that saw over 72,000 people surge into the tiny territory of about 80,000. The vast majority returned voluntarily in the following days.
With the city's resources overstretched, most migrants were living in precarious conditions on El Trampolin beach or the city's outskirts while awaiting a chance to journey on to continental Europe.
'We're sleeping next to the sea, with cold and bad smells. We're suffering a lot,' said Ayoub Elarroud from Morocco's Tetouan, adding that police were blocking migrants from going to the city centre.
The protesters held up Spanish flags and banners reading 'We don't want to go back to Morocco' and 'We are also human', while chanting slogans such as 'We're tired' or 'We need a solution'.
On the rocky shores behind them, some migrants washed their clothes while others fished with makeshift bamboo rods.
Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska previously said migrants who had entered irregularly would not be allowed to stay in the enclave, travel to mainland Spain or obtain legal status, except in rare cases involving extreme vulnerability.
The head of Ceuta's medical board, Enrique Roviralta, told Onda Cero radio that the city's limited healthcare workers were exhausted and criticised what he described as a slow response by the central government.
Mr Roviralta added that diseases such as infectious diarrhoea and scabies were breaking out, and violence-related injuries such as broken noses or stab wounds were rising.
Migrants, mainly Moroccan, gather in a protest asking for asylum in El Trampolin beach on August 16, 2026 in Ceuta, Spain
Migrants live under precarious conditions in El Trampolin beach on August 16, 2026 in Ceuta, Spain
Migrants live under precarious conditions near the CETI (Temporary Immigrant Reception Centre) facilities on August 16, 2026 in Ceuta, Spain
On Sunday, Health Minister Monica Garcia rejected suggestions that local health services had 'collapsed', but acknowledged they were under pressure.
'To associate migration with illness is unjust and xenophobic,' she told reporters in Ceuta, adding there was a moderate risk of epidemic outbreaks for migrants and a low one for residents.
Most of the Moroccan migrants interviewed by Reuters said they were driven by poor working conditions in their country, despite many holding higher qualifications.
Mohammed Ouanzar, a 39-year-old automation specialist from Fez, said average monthly salaries of 3,000 dirham ($324) made it impossible for him to buy a home or start a family.
'Once I reached Spanish soil, I felt like I was born again,' he said. 'I'd rather die than return.'
Hicham Chikir, 25, said most people were eager to work in Europe. 'If anyone is bad, the police can send them back,' he added.
Emmanuel, a 30-year-old electrician who fled conflict-ridden northeastern Nigeria, said he decided to embark on a perilous four-month journey across Niger, Algeria and Morocco because his children had stopped going to school over fears of being kidnapped.
'I'm fighting for a better life for them,' he said, adding that he would take any job he was offered.
On Sunday, Health Minister Monica Garcia rejected suggestions that local health services had 'collapsed'
With the city's resources overstretched, most migrants were living in precarious conditions on El Trampolin beach or the city's outskirts while awaiting a chance to journey on to continental Europe
Social media was previously blamed for the organisation of the first large-scale attempt on the border
Spanish military personnel gather at the border with Morocco in Ceuta, following mass crossings of migrants on foot and by sea from Morocco into Spanish territory, in Ceuta, Spain, August 15, 2026
Mohammad Ismail Hossain, 34, left Bangladesh over two years ago following the 2024 mass uprising. He traversed India, Pakistan, Iraq, Syria, Egypt, Libya and Algeria – mostly on foot – and saw many companions die of thirst in the desert.
Ousmane from southern Senegal said he was seeking asylum because he suffered persecution over his sexual orientation but had yet to obtain a reply from the local NGOs he had contacted.
'The worst thing is waiting all day with nothing to do, checking my emails constantly,' he said.
Over the weekend, hundreds of migrants tried to storm Ceuta in a second planned invasion of the Spanish territory before they were intercepted by riot police.
Huge crowds of men were seen storming the border crossing at the northern tip of the African continent.
Morocco's Le360 media outlet reported that at least 300 people were arrested, 46 of them Moroccan and the rest from sub-Saharan Africa.
Police used tear gas to disperse groups of migrants gathered on hills around 3km (1.9 miles) from the border, according to Spanish news agency EFE.
Reporters later saw hundreds of officers, some in riot gear, returning from the hills outside Fnideq.
Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska previously said migrants who had entered irregularly would not be allowed to stay in the enclave
Moroccan migrants sit beneath a makeshift shelter marked with a red cross along the shoreline in Ceuta, Spain, August 15, 2026
Migrants hold signs reading 'Asilo,' Spanish for 'asylum,' as they gather in Ceuta, Spain, August 16, 2026
Huge groups of the men were seen pouring down the hills and mountains near Ceuta during the attempted crossing.
In the weeks leading up to the crossing attempt, messages began to swirl around social media calling for a new invasion of the Spanish enclave.
Rabat said it was monitoring 'the circulation of social media posts and messages of unknown origin' calling for a mass crossing on August 15, warning it would prosecute organisers and participants.
A message posted to an online forum read: 'The Ceuta border will be open on the 15th [of August], a public holiday in Spain.'
They are also being urged to cross the border into Melilla, another Spanish autonomous city on the northern coast of Africa.
Ceuta and Melilla form the European Union's only land borders with Africa.
Social media was previously blamed for the organisation of the first large-scale attempt on the border.