In the past 120 years, Melburnians have witnessed the introduction of the city’s first traffic lights, a home Olympic Games, and the opening of the West Gate Bridge.

During these milestones, members of the Brighton Beach Bowls Club have enjoyed their small slice of coastal paradise.

But the historic organisation is now under threat, as Bayside Council considers approving a multimillion-dollar development that would result in the organisation being evicted, the clubhouse demolished and the greens built over.

Club committee members said they were shocked and disappointed that they could be excluded from the large-scale rebuild of the precinct, which would leave their members uprooted and without a base.

Upgrades to the wider facility – which the council said no longer met accessibility or facility requirements – have been in the pipeline since last year. Initial plans for the rebuild indicated the bowls club would continue as a tenant of the council at the new facility.

But council officers have now recommended the club’s lease be terminated, beloved clubrooms bulldozed, and the erection of a new pavilion for other local clubs. Councillors will vote on the plans on Tuesday night.

The club originated when a ladies’ club was formed in 1905, before expanding to a men’s and women’s club two years later.

“We’ve survived two world wars, the great depression, COVID. And here we are,” said club president Jon Martin. “The very first time that we appear to be threatened is not through an act of war … it’s a deliberate decision.”

A bowling green for the club was officially opened in January 1907 by then-premier Thomas Bent, who bowled a ceremonial jack in front of a large crowd. Bent was a former mayor of the City of Brighton, a predecessor to Bayside Council.

Eight months later, members gathered for their first annual meeting. An article in The Argus newspaper wrote the new bowling green had been “in perfect condition”, improvements were being made to the “commodious pavilion”, and the club had recorded a membership of 29 ladies and 43 men.

Today, the club has dozens of members, with a median age of 80. The space is also hired by various community groups – including an art class, dance groups and a meet-up for cancer survivors.

Club vice president Peter Toms, OAM, cited the importance of the bowls club and other activity groups, particularly for its older members.

“Let’s face it, we’re all galloping towards Alzheimer’s and dementia … the only way you’re going offset it [is] going to be exercise, fresh air, and communication with other people,” Toms said.

The number of Bayside residents aged 85 and over is expected to increase by 4407 between 2021 and 2046, according to council population forecasts.

The Bayside Council agenda indicates that the high cost of development and existing site constraints are behind the recommendation to expel the bowls club. These constraints include a telecommunications tower on the lot, which requires uninterrupted access, and the proximity to the Sandringham railway line.

“I see the need for a new pavilion … but then to exclude us from being one of the four co-tenants of the new building, I just think that it’s appalling,” Toms said.

Martin added that it was shocking to find out that the plan recommended by council officers included building directly on the club’s green.

He emphasised that the club did not want an adversarial relationship with the other sporting organisations that used the site – but was seeking a solution which would let all current tenants thrive.

“Given the site constraints, I think it’s reasonable to assume that everyone is going to have to make some kind of adjustment … It’s not fair that the burden is totally absorbed by just one club,” Martin said.

The main tenants in the neighbouring pavilion building are the Old Brighton Grammarians Football Club, Brighton Beach Junior Football Club and the Brighton Cricket Club.

These clubs have been pushing for upgraded facilities to accommodate growing player numbers and improve change room facilities – particularly for women.

Liberal MP for Brighton James Newbury criticised the plan to terminate the lease of the heritage club, calling it “a special kind of bastardy”.

“It’s not only a historic club but it also serves as a community hub for dozens of local groups and services,” Newbury said.

“We need a solution that looks after the bowls, football, and cricket – not a solution that upsets them all. Any councillor who makes the spiteful decision to snuff out the significant club isn’t fit to sit as a community leader.”

Federal MP for Goldstein Tim Wilson also contacted Bayside Mayor Debbie Taylor-Haynes to express his support for the retention of the bowls club.

In a letter seen by The Age, he called the council recommendation “disproportionate and unnecessary”.

“It seems far more logical that a design of the shared facility that will improve value for ratepayers, and, with appropriate design, enable facilities for both interests,” Wilson wrote.

Bayside City Council chief executive Matthew Cripps said that the council was “committed to replacing the ageing Brighton Beach Oval Pavilion with a modern, inclusive community facility”. “Council recognises the long history and contribution of Brighton Beach Bowls Club and, if the recommendation is supported, will work respectfully with the club to explore other options,” Cripps said.

“We’re exploring a range of options to overcome significant location challenges while ensuring value for ratepayers.”