Tamil Nadu Forest Minister R.V. Ranjithkumar, on Tuesday (August 18, 2026), told the Legislative Assembly there was a proposal to offer ₹10 lakh each to the family members of the three Tamils who were killed in firing by Karnataka Forest Department personnel on August 14.

Responding to a special calling-attention motion in the Assembly, he said, as per the direction of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister C. Joseph Vijay, the Forest Department was holding consultations on offering compensation to the family members.

Tamil Nadu Law Minister R. Nirmalkumar, who had earlier responded to the motion, also confirmed the proposal to offer compensation.

Earlier former Chief Minister and AIADMK general secretary Edappadi K. Palaniswami wanted to know whether the State government had plans to offer compensation, as the deceased were Tamils.

Mr. Nirmalkumar explained that three persons of Tamil origin — P. Anthonysamy, John Rose Peter and Kumar — were killed when Karnataka Forest Department officials tried to prevent poaching at Karadikutta in the Mariamangalam forest area. The injured, Mariadoss and Benjamin, escaped and are being treated at a private hospital. Their families had migrated to Karnataka 75 years ago.

He said after the incident, the family members and 300 others staged a road roko, following which government officials held talks with them and came forward to offer ₹5 lakh to each family. “The Karnataka Chief Minister had promised a proper inquiry. The Forest Minister of the State announced the government’s decision to hold a magisterial inquiry to find out who fired first and who was responsible for the violence,” he explained. A case has been filed against the Forest Department personnel by the police.

The Tamil Nadu Minister said Chief Minister Vijay had condoled the deaths and condemned the killings, which he had described as brutal. “He has also said that the explanation of the Karnataka Forest Department was not acceptable. He has also promised all help to the families and steps to prevent future incidents,” he said.

To a question from DMK member and former Chief Minister O. Panneerselvam on who fired first, the Minister said the magisterial inquiry would reveal every detail.

DMK member Paul Manoj Pandian insisted on bringing the incident to the notice of the National Human Rights Commission.

Published - August 18, 2026 01:37 pm IST