SEOUL, Aug. 19 (Yonhap) -- South Korea and the United States are scaling down their annual combined exercise that kicked off earlier this week, with the scheduled field training also set to be reduced, South Korea's military said Wednesday.
The allies agreed to cut short the Ulchi Freedom Shield (UFS) exercise to Friday, paring down the drills period almost by half, Seoul's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said in a release. The UFS was scheduled to run from Aug. 17-27.
Field training exercises, a core part of the drills, will also be reduced to some extent, with discussions under way between the two militaries to decide on the detailed plans, the JCS said.
The announcement comes after Trump called for "substantially" scaling down joint South Korea-U.S. military drills in a social media post Sunday (U.S. time), citing a cost burden and his good relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
elly@yna.co.kr
(END)
- BTS' V reveals hearing loss, Jungkook performs through shin injury on world tour
- N. Korea silent on Lee's proposal for dialogue to officially end Korean War
- (2nd LD) Lee proposes dialogue with N. Korea to officially end Korean War, halt Pyongyang's nuclear program
- Actor Park Eun-bin to release album marking 30-year career
-
Ha Young says 'sincerely sorry' over great-grandfather's pro-Japanese past
-
BTS' V reveals hearing loss, Jungkook performs through shin injury on world tour
- N. Korea silent on Lee's proposal for dialogue to officially end Korean War
- Trump signs memo permitting foreign shipbuilders to build up to 2 U.S. ships in their shipyards
- (LEAD) Lee reiterates support for four-year, two-term presidential system
-
(2nd LD) Lee proposes dialogue with N. Korea to officially end Korean War, halt Pyongyang's nuclear program
-
(LEAD) Trump says N. Korea's Kim has responded to his dialogue overture
- Death penalty sought for woman accused of killing 2 men with laced drinks
- (2nd LD) Lee reaffirms push to retake wartime operational control of troops during his term
- (LEAD) Seoul in close consultation with U.S. over combined military exercises: security adviser
- (LEAD) USFK commander visits defense ministry after Trump's order to reduce joint exercise with S. Korea