A Russian-Australian citizen has been arrested by federal police in Brisbane over allegations he attempted to engage in intentional foreign interference.
Vladimir Teslov, a 27-year-old man from Victoria, was arrested at Sumner, in Brisbane’s south-west, on Thursday.
Teslov is accused of travelling to Russia in October 2024 for military-style training, returning to Australia, and then travelling to Ukraine in May 2025 to join the Ukrainian armed forces.
“It is alleged he subsequently provided, or attempted to provide, information obtained in Ukraine to individuals he believed were acting on behalf of Russian intelligence services,” a statement from the AFP said.
They said elements of the offence occurred while the man was in Australia and offshore, and they would allege his conduct created a risk to the safety and security of Ukrainian military personnel.
The arrest came following an investigation by the Counter Foreign Interference Task Force.
AFP Commissioner Krissy Barrett said that investigation began in June.
She said this was the first time a person with links to Russia had been charged with attempting to engage in foreign interference since new laws were introduced in 2018.
Police said they executed search warrants on Thursday at homes at Sumner and Sinnamon Park. On Friday, they searched properties in the Brisbane suburbs of Springwood and Petrie Terrace and a person at St Lucia, and seized electronic devices that were taken for forensic examinations.
Teslov was scheduled to appear in the Brisbane Magistrates Court on Friday.
Barrett also stressed there was no threat to Australia as a result of the man’s alleged offending.
“There is nothing to suggest he received any military training in Australia and, in terms of the training he undertook in Russia, that is part of our ongoing investigations,” she said.
“There is no risk of him working for an Australian government agency that would pose a risk to Australia.”
She said further charges could be laid after officers finished examining a number of electronic devices and other items seized in the Thursday arrest.
Barrett did not go into detail about what police meant when they said the man “believed” he was providing information to Russian intelligence.
She declined to say whether police had begun their investigation on the advice of Ukraine.
Asked whether the man would have been charged if he was accused of supplying Ukraine with Russian information, she replied: “We target criminal offending, not countries.
“Our job is ensuring that Australia does not become a safe haven for people who think they can conduct foreign interference on our shores. This is about sending a message.”
Get alerts on significant breaking news as happens. Sign up for our Breaking News Alert.