Gardaí maintained a presence around the funeral mass of a teenager who died in a horror wrong-way crash on a motorway last weekend.

Joe Carthy was one of five teenagers who died when the car they were travelling in was driven the wrong way down the M9 and was involved in a head-on collision with another vehicle.

He died alongside Jack Kennedy, Alex McCarthy, Jeremy O’Brien and Kamil Pustkowski.

A child and three women from the same family, who were in the other car, are being treated for serious injuries in hospital.

A vigil in support of the family, who were on the way to Dublin Airport for a holiday, is to take place on Friday evening.

The crash has renewed focus on enforcement of dangerous driving, the regulation of social media content, and the provision of State care to children.

Joe’s funeral began in Athy, Co Kildare, on Friday morning, where the gardaí had a visible presence in the town amid outcry over the circumstances of the crash and concern for possible disorder.

The coffin arrived at the church on a white horse-drawn carriage.

Mourners followed the coffin into the church, wearing white T-shirts depicting an image of the boy while others raised framed photographs.

The priest extended “sincere sympathy to Joe’s family”, adding: “We gather with sorrow in our hearts.”

An Garda Síochána maintained checkpoints on the road into town, while officers were also present in the area around the church.

Outside the service, a screen displayed pictures and videos while music played. Blue carpet led the way to the church steps, with white flowers placed around the entrance.

A funeral mass for Alex is scheduled to take place in Holy Family Church, Askea, Carlow, on Friday afternoon.

Elsewhere in Carlow on Friday evening, a vigil will be held for three sisters – Ella Hendricken and Niamh and Alma Kinsella – as well as a young boy who were the occupants of the other vehicle.

A fundraiser for the affected family had raised more than 640,000 euro by Friday morning.

Earlier in the week, Ireland’s child and family agency Tusla confirmed one of the deceased teenagers was in its care, while two other boys were “known” to the it.

Tusla has committed to sharing information with the independent National Review Panel into deaths or serious incidents involving children known to Tusla or in State care.

Following the crash, Government and opposition politicians have criticised social media companies for failing to restrict or quickly remove content depicting dangerous driving.

Meanwhile, TikTok declined to publicly appear before a parliamentary committee probing online videos of dangerous driving, with the social media giant instead offering a private briefing to lawmakers.

It had been invited to appear before the Oireachtas Media Committee on September 23 to address issues on how it deals with content that “glorifies illegal activity”, but has declined the opportunity.

Media regulator Coimisiún na Meán has also sought a “full account” of how TikTok is dealing with reports of illegal or harmful content on its platform, with the authority adding it is in “close contact” with An Garda Síochána.

TikTok said it would not be “possible” to appear before the committee given investigations into the matter by gardaí and the regulator.

It also said it would not be “appropriate” for it to be the sole video-sharing company to be called in front of the committee when similar content appears on other social media platforms.

The company says it has removed all the flagged content and banned accounts that violate its policies against criminal behaviour.

It also said it removes content that glorifies violence and promotes crime that could harm others, while limiting the spread of material that encourages unsafe behaviour including risky driving.

Meta, which operates Instagram and Facebook, has policies to restrict users under 18 from seeing imagery depicting real-life dangerous driving likely to cause injury, as well as a prohibition of content promoting criminal or harmful activities such as high-risk viral challenges.

Snap has also been contacted for comment.

Justice Minister Jim O’Callaghan committed to providing An Garda Síochána with “whatever resources they require” to deal with dangerous driving in the wake of the crash – including introducing pursuit-specific training for the first time.

He said Garda Commissioner Justin Kelly will begin implementing the training this year.

A decision was taken to instruct gardaí not to pursue the BMW occupied by the teenagers the wrong way down the motorway.

Local gardaí said it had earlier failed to stop for police.

O’Callaghan is also exploring the introduction of a specific offence for deliberately driving against the flow of traffic on a motorway.

However, opposition politicians say the problems in policing dangerous driving stem from issues around recruitment and retention.

Sinn Féin justice spokesman Matt Carthy said a “failure to address” Garda numbers is “fuelling a community safety crisis” across the State.

He said: “There is a clear shortage of community gardaí and interventions needed to prevent crime before it occurs.”