Preparations are under way for the annual Nedbank Golf Challenge, as event organisers unveiled a star-studded initial line-up, an elevated prize purse and a sweeping R50 million course upgrade during a media launch at Sun City.
Widely revered as “Africa’s Major”, the flagship tournament will take place from December 3 to 6. This year's edition holds special significance as it honours 91-year-old South African golfing icon Gary Player, whose influence has shaped the event since its inception in 1981.
To mark the milestone, the historic Gary Player Country Club is undergoing a massive R50 million reconstruction project that began in June last year. Upgrades include a redesigned 470m par-four 1st hole and the addition of Sun City’s first dedicated practice range. Players will compete for a share of a $6 million overall purse, with $1.2 million set aside for the winner.
Organisers revealed an impressive preliminary field featuring Norwegian Kristoffer Reitan, the defending champion, alongside two-time US Open champion Bryson DeChambeau and English star Justin Rose. Local interest will be anchored by rising Sunshine Tour talent Casey Jarvis and Marco Penge, a breakout star on the DP World Tour who launched his professional career in South Africa.
Further player announcements will follow in the coming months.
Alongside the action on the fairway, organisers have curated a high-profile entertainment line-up throughout the week. Amapiano icons Scorpion Kings consisting of Kabza De Small and DJ Maphorisa, who are set to headline the opening night at the Valley of Waves Sunbet Beach Party on Friday, December 4.
International band +LIVE+ will take over on Saturday, December 5, before house DJ Shimza brings the tournament to a close at the Sun Park Closing Party on Sunday, December 6.
Tournament director Ken Payet said Sun City’s unique environment remained a core selling point for international stars.
“We literally have the Big Five right on our doorstep,” Payet said, noting the proximity to the neighboring Pilanesberg Game Reserve. “From a family perspective, the players bring their families and we entertain them while they're playing for a $6 million purse. For a lot of the players, it's an opportunity before or after the tournament to go to Kruger Park, Cape Town or the Winelands.”
For title sponsor Nedbank, the tournament continues to deliver direct value to its core base. Kensi Nobanda, the group chief marketing and corporate affairs officer at Nedbank Group, highlighted client demand and strong institutional partnerships as the twin drivers behind the bank’s decades-long commitment.
“Our high-net-worth, business banking and corporate investment clients love golf, so it makes sense to create an experience around it for them,” Nobanda said. She also outlined concrete efforts to drive broader inclusion at the event, specifically within the pre-tournament Pro-Am, where organisers have adjusted handicap thresholds to boost female participation.
Speaking on women participation, Kensi said “Then from a female perspective, the Pro-Am, which is normally before the golf … to play in the Pro-Am, you need a handicap of 16. In general, how sports play out, women have a higher handicap than men. We've worked with the DP World Tour and Sun International to say, for women, you don't have to have as low a handicap, to allow more women to play in the Pro-Am.”
From a development perspective, the event remains a vital springboard for local players trying to break into the global stage.
“This event is on our turf and we're an integral part of growing the game,” said Thomas Abt, Commissioner of the Sunshine Tour. “Our mantra is 'Greatness Begins Here.' For our players to get into the biggest tournament on the African continent, it's a wonderful platform. When you bring South African competitors at the highest level to compete against the best in the world, the fans will always show up.”