According to Ukrinform, Nadvirna Mayor Zinovii Andriiovych announced his return on Facebook.
"Against the backdrop of the bitter and painful news that the war has brought to our community lately, today we have incredibly joyful news that gives us hope and faith. Among the 103 Ukrainian defenders who were returned from enemy captivity today is our fellow resident – Mykhailo Romanovych Nahorniak, born September 3, 1988, a resident of the village of Lisna Tarnovytsia," Andriiovych said.
Credit: Zinovii Andriiovych/Facebook
According to the mayor, Nahorniak served as a grenade launcher operator in a mechanized unit.
The serviceman was captured on May 10, 2024, during a Russian assault near the village of Pylne in the Kharkiv region. He had been considered missing ever since.
After months of uncertainty, his family received long-awaited news on August 19 that Mykhailo was returning home.
"This is a great joy for his family, his native village and the entire Nadvirna community. After long months of anxiety, uncertainty and waiting, there is finally the news they had been hoping for," the mayor said.
Read also:Russian attack in Zhytomyr kills two police officers and injures at least 20 people
In a comment to Suspilne, Khrystyna Yosypchuk, acting head of the Lisna Tarnovytsia village district, said that Mykhailo Nahorniak had been raising two children on his own. His mother has a disability.
Ivano-Frankivsk Regional Military Administration Head Svitlana Onyshchuk said that four servicemen from the region were returned from Russian captivity on August 19, 2026: Volodymyr Lazar from the Kalush district, Mykhailo Nahorniak from the Nadvirna district, Yaroslav Panchii from the Ivano-Frankivsk district, and Andrii Symotiuk from the Kolomyia district.
As reported, Ukraine has brought another 103 military personnel home from Russian captivity.
First photo: SBU